Friday, July 09, 2004

Water - a Crucial Resource

My point is that how long can we live depleting such resources (water/land/air - simply our eco system). I believe the next war will not be on money but on who controls such resources, the war over basic amenities. For instance, we are already seeing wars on oil.

Take the idea of farmers selling water for Chennai City and getting compensated for it.

Take the worst case scenario, the farmers get a lot of money, they forget what they do for living and when the income in water stops(depleted water), the thought goes on to plunder another resource of water. Now itself we have seen a lot of farmers selling their farm lands as plots and moving towards cities. Will the effect continue.

Or can we think something out-of-the-box like the de-salination plant, which is balanced with proper bought out water from other places(farmers/rwh(ponds)/dams/etc.,).

Here also we have a lot of cliches, but we can be sure that no one is unjustfully plundered. I believe doing one thing will not solve the problem, it has to be complemented with a lot of aid, similar to the power manufacturing, diesel/thermal/nuclear/hydel powerplants nourishing India with all the power we need.

My fav. quote, in the movie The Matrix, Agent Smith describes Human beings as viruses, one who occupy and plunder the place of all the resources and then move on to a richer resource to plunder more. We should not be like that. We have to replicate what other mammals do, adapt to the surroundings and build the eco system.

I have seen people waste a lot of water, when they are in abundant. And panic when they are scarce, and they move on to a richer place with resources.

When I was on a trip to Kerala, I thought of how much we have wasted, its time we built it again. Only people should come forward.

I believe the water under my ground should not be my property such that I can plunder it all I want. I can use it, I shall not sell it. Because, whatever I am doing right now, becomes or decides what is going to happen few decades from now. If this power falls on the right hands (like some God-like people), it will be great. But if this power even falls to a normal individual, it is quiet likely plundering will take place.

This comes to conclude I hate soft drink makers who plunder underground water for maximizing their produce.

I am not saying we should have a central organization which should ration water, but what I am saying is we should educate people to be sensible (For that we have to educate them first). From the Captain Planet, we have to reduce, re-use & re-cycle.

All in goodness in full intent. Commerce in water is good, Commerce in good intent is doubly good.

No comments: