Thursday, July 22, 2004

Distractions - The Art to Avoid

Distractions are a definitely personal preferences over something else.

Anything and everything from a Ring tone, Chat request, New Mail to a Phone call, guys chatting nearby, pretty girl on road can distract you. The point is to decide whether to get distracted or not.

I would actually love to hear a song playing in the background when I work. Similarly I have spent my boyhood when I read/learn my book with TV switched ON. I particularly relish sleeping with a mild melody playing ON the transistor/radio. Ringtones, when I hear them I definitely get fascinated or you can say distracted, then again that does not last long.

I clearly have this much in my mind, when I am into something interesting, nothing else can get my attention so easily and immediately. To say the least I am not awakened so easily from my sleep. Similarly with work/music/tv etc., And similarly I don't get into things pretty easily either. It takes time to get into the groove, hence I value not missing it. Another vital thing is I love to get interested in what I do. If I lose a small amount of interest in it, I tend to lose focus.

Some small deflections are immediately erased. And I go back full fledged on the focussed work. Ask it to anybody who has talked to me when I am very seriously involved in something else, they will definitely vouch for what I have told.

Sometimes those poor souls will be repeating the stuff they told me once/twice/thrice to make me shift gears to them. Yes, it is cruel. That's why I am confident of getting the fullest support for the above statement. What to do ?? that's how I am built.

Now, to state the whos who lose control easily and get distracted. These persons are pretty emotional persons. So they are not able to program their mind to be priority based. If somebody gets distracted mainly by a noise (can be anything for eg. ringtone) from what he is currently doing with utmost interest, then U will definitely say that my above two statements are correct/accurate.

But how I am trained to avoid that is a question. May be it is heredity, my mother has a niche to complete whatever job she is doing before she takes up anything else. She just does this by her shrewd work ethic. She is completely committed when she spends time in a work. There U go. I don't claim any of my good qualities to be mine. I say I have been taught well.

U could do that too. Just train yourself to be focussed on a work. First of all without distractions, then add Ur favourite items one by one as distractions. If you have survived the favourite items, then you can add annoying items. With these stuff you can get trained to not get distracted.

First try to abandon your emotions when you do a job. Then let the emotions come in but at a priority like, ShowStopper, Critical, Major, Minor, etc., - increase the priority with number of occurence for some particular emotions. [The above priorities are purely technical names, you can have your own naming conventions, if you find them cool] Once more use priorities for emotions wisely. Try to get back to the fullest focus after the distraction/emotion.

Another vital stuff in every practice is, take a break. Break is doing something light-hearted and nothing serious. I won't allow doing an exercise/coffee/technical discussion.  Just a small walk, concentrating on a chat (not contributing), a simple wise crack (to aggravate your friendly enemies), bug fix (works for me), or simply something which will free your mind a little. Sometimes looking at your 'sight' nearby is also fine.

The vital part is get back to the groove after any distraction. Get working, focussing, and doing what you do best - work (??).

I have subscribed the above guidelines learning from what happened since my childhood days as a solution. Hence I don't know the time of the results, you can notify me on times once you are successful.

Once more, this has been a great under current, hoping to add soon.

If the above looks like all me, hey, its me writing the pages not you.

No comments: