Friday, July 09, 2004

Professionalism & My Father's Comment

I once wanted to have a chappal made by hand labourers. They took a decent budget and also got hold of a design which I had used up. Later when they delivered the good, it was in stark contrast to the original with lots of lose ends. The main fact it didn't even fit in my feet.

I asked my father whether the raw materials we gave them were insufficient and they have done a poor job with cheap leather and everything.

His point was these guys have the talent to do a professional job, but they never do it. That's why they are still in footpath or a roadside shop fixing wornout chappals.

Even the same happened to the carpenters we hired to fix wooden cupboards up the lafts. Their target was in the money they will make (either in the daily wage or the commission from the timber store), but was never there in an ontime and professional workmanship. This hurted me the most, since I saw them as one of the most talented guys to do the job.

Once again my father's comment was, "U know these carpenters from 1980s right, still we are seeing them in the same state right, all this is because what U are seeing right now - lack of professionalism".

Professionalism is not taught in any class. Even in school someone finishing up a record note shabbily is passed up. They even tease the owner of the best record note as 'nee enna oru mark enna vida athigama vangiduviya, athukku ivvalavu scena' (Why are doing this much for getting just the +1 mark). In some schools there is not even this one mark bonus for a professional guy.

I don't know the reasons for this, but my kind of solution for this is to have more industry-school relationships to get the better out of our talent. And professionalism should be garnered from the root.

Professionalism should matter, not only when U compete on global scale but also in every competition.

Indian Cricket is fairing better lately due to professionalism. Before hand we just termed opposition (especially Australians) as professionals.

No comments: